While they are still fresh, I decided to hit two birds with one stone and empty out leftover vegetables from the crisper. This recipe can be adjusted based on what you have in your refrigerator. :)
I chopped 1 small white onion, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 tomato and some leftover meatballs we had for dinner yesterday.
I also diced 1 whole green bell pepper and included this leftover sweet corn kernels we used for pizza.
I cut the okra into approximately 2-3" pcs.
1. Sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
2. Add the bell peppers and stir.
3. After about a minute, add the meatballs. I added freshly ground pepper at this point.
4. Add the okra. Stir well to make sure there are no areas burning.
5. Add 1/4 cup water and cover.
6. Once the water has evaporated, check if the okra is cooked. If not, add another 2 tbsp. of water and cover.
7. Add the tomatoes and corn.
8. Add 4 tbsp. of tomato sauce. Add salt to taste. Stir well!
And voila! A southern-inspired dish that is healthy and delicious! 😄